Drupal Official Website: http://drupal.org/
Drupal’s worldwide community, along with the Drupal Association, announces general availability (GA) of Drupal 7, the most innovative web platform available. Drupal is an open source content management platform powering millions of websites and applications. Notable websites are WhiteHouse.gov and the many top music artist’s sites of Warner Media Group. Drupal version 7 (D7) features the latest web technologies and remarkable improvements to user experience (UX). Drupal 7 is already in production use by sites such as Examiner.com, which is among the top 100 in the United States. After relaunching in Drupal 7, Examiner’s traffic grew 19% in a single month, attracting more than 22.4 million monthly unique visitors.
“New Drupal 7 features such as the field API, pluggable storage and cache, enabled us to use Mongo as a “NoSQL” solution for high performance and scalability, while the new unit testing framework ensures a very stable core, even over several large core-merge efforts throughout the project. Examiner.com, with its high traffic volume and instant publishing capabilities, would have been very difficult or impossible to implement on earlier versions of Drupal.” said Jim Davidson, President, Examiner.com.
The Drupal 7 development program used a combination of contracted professional guidance and community-sourced feedback to arrive at best-in-class solutions for the Drupal 7 user experience (UX). UX enhancements provide easier administration, update management, accessibility, and content creation.
Angie Byron (aka Webchick), Drupal 7 core maintainer, affirms,
“Drupal 7 sports an improved new user interface, accessibility improvements, better image handling capabilities, support for rich content metadata, security features, scalability and database interoperability enhancements, a suite of 30,000 automated tests to ensure stability, and more. In short: it’s a tremendous leap forward for the project and for website builders everywhere, we are thrilled to formally release Drupal 7 to the world.”
Drupal is an open-source software project powered by more than half a million people in more than 200 countries, who speak more than 180 languages. Nearly 1000 members of the Drupal community are direct contributors to Drupal 7 core, and thousands more develop contributed modules.
“Drupal’s phenomenal growth arose from Drupal 6; Drupal 7 represents a major leap forward in terms of usability, performance and capability,” asserts Dries Buytaert, founder and project lead of Drupal. “We welcome the world to a new chapter of developing for the Web and celebrate with worldwide Drupal 7 launch parties on January 7, 2011.
Important new capabilities in Drupal 7
* UX Enhancements by a design for the 80% of users that makes common tasks easy,
default settings smart, privileges the content creator, and simplifies administration.
* Image handling out-of-the-box, resize, crop, etc.
* Built-in, automated test environment featuring a continuous integration test suite
running against every patch for long-term stability of the project
* Version upgrade manager and migration from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7
* Performance and scalability improvements that serve web visitors faster via advanced
caching, content delivery networks (CDN), and master-slave replication
* Custom fields in core, native data item fields for any content type, but also for users,
taxonomy, and other entities, plus support for translations
* Database abstraction layer, enabling the use of many databases, such as Maria
DB, Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQLite
“NPR Public Interactive has been using Drupal 7 since the early alpha releases to build and pilot our next generation CMS platform for Public Radio and Television Stations,” said Doug Gaff, Director of Technology at NPR. “Our customers are thrilled with D7’s polished OOB experience, and we’re excited with the many architectural and functional enhancements of the D7 platform.”
Drupal is open to the world with multi-lingual support and accessibility for people with disabilities. Drupal was recently used by the Dutch government for a project that required 100% compliance with the World Wide Consortium’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0).
Native RDFa Semantic Web Technology In Core Drupal 7
Drupal 7 is pioneering the rollout of RDFa for broad adoption of the Semantic Web. Increasingly, Google and Bing will rely on machine-readable structured data from websites they crawl. The design of Drupal 7 embeds semantic meta data that makes machine-to-machine (M2M) search native for a Drupal 7 website. RDFa can add value by giving search engines more detail, details not visible to humans, such as the latitude and longitude of a venue for display on a map; or providing the ISO date format for localization and proper display in the search results for different countries.
About the Drupal Association
The Drupal Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping the Drupal project flourish. The Association helps the Drupal community with funding, infrastructure, events, promotion and distribution.
The Drupal Association is incorporated in Belgium. Learn more or download Drupal at Drupal.org.
Official Download Links:
Stable: Drupal 7.0
Released On: January 5, 2011
Size: 3.05 MB
Released On: December 24, 2010
Size: 1.23 MB
Unstable: Drupal 7.x-dev
Released On: February 20, 2011
Size: 3.06 MB
Released On: December 24, 2010
Size: 1.23 MB
* #1006302 by aspilicious, bfroehle: Fixed can’t install projects packed as zip in Update Manager.
* #971120 by bec, dereine, bojanz, chx: Fixed Radio button values get run through check_plain() twice
* #986992 follow-up by yched, saintiss: Fix to field_sql_storage_update_7001().
* #1001242 by agentrickard, pwolanin, Crell, chx: Add DBTNG support for EXISTS conditions.
* #1008628 by plach: Fixed Fatal error: Call to undefined function language_negotiation_get_switch_links() when using only one language
* #1010376 by danillonunes: Fixed drupal_add_js() documentation makes reference to drupal_add_css()
* #1011496 by danillonunes: Fixed Duplicate comment line for drupal_render_cid_parts()
* #1003828 by rfay: Fixed Drupal.ajaxError may itself throw an exception, causing silent ‘AJAX Error 0’ events
* #1011308 by droplet: Fixed Call to undefined function decode_entities IN common.inc
* #1003968 by David_Rothstein, jhodgdon: Fixed Explain in INSTALL.txt that on some servers, the automated settings.php creation isn’t expected to work
* #761212 follow-up by jbrown: Better method of changing to DRUPAL_ROOT.
* #1006478 follow-up by Stevel: Fix table prefixes to prevent random testbot failures.
* #987384 by h_peter, jhodgdon: Fixed Topics/groups in D7 need cleanup
* #1012822 by dww: Fixed exception handling while downloading/verifying a tarball in update manager.
* #1005934 by rfw, dww: Fixed UpdateTestUploadCase->testUploadModule() raises an exception during testing with E_STRICT
* #936490 by dww, fago: Fixed Update module should verify downloaded tarballs and propagate errors correctly
* #754760 by sun, chx, dmitrig01, manarth, EvanDonovan, derjochenmeyer, joachim: Fixed all possible problems with comment links, using new generatePermutations testing function.
* #1009862 by neclimdul, threewestwinds: Update to jQuery UI 1.8.7
* #1008022 by droplet, jhodgdon, aspilicious: Fixed search-block-form.tpl.php refers to [‘submit’], which no longer exists
* #994870 by sun: Fixed Custom #type machine_name ‘exists’ callbacks cannot access other form elements/values
* #1012138 by tstoeckler: Fixed hook_init() example violates what doc says to do
* #969456 follow-up by effulgentsia, threewestwinds: Upgrade jQuery Form library to 2.52.
* #997802 by David_Rothstein, dww: Fixed Update manager doesn’t allow you to install a project if it finds a single ‘broken’ module in it
* #1010506 by dww, chx, hgurol: Fixed FileTransfer doesn’t properly handle any advanced settings nor the ssh username
* #1013058 by bfroehle: Fixed SSH connection class has wrong port in error string.
* #686060 by Crell, David_Rothstein, dww, yoroy, carlos8f, et al: Fixed Explain that the Update manager only works if you have FTP or SSH access to your server
* #976328 by bfroehle, dww: Fixed Update manager should not take you out of maintenance mode unless you asked it to
* #904214 by moshe weitzman: Fixed administer comments does not respect node access.
* #295697 by boombatower, maartenvg, agentrickard, bfroehle, beeradb: Fixed warn of PHP memory limit < 64MB for Testing module.
* #989366 by jhodgdon: Improved documentation of hook_date_formats()
* #925398 by ptrl: Fixed Overlay title jumps when active
* #746470 by follow-up by aspilicious, Jacine, jbrown, sgabe, et al: Add border-radius for IE9 / Opera 10.50
* #589440 by Booba, willmoy, JanZ, pwolanin, mlncn: Fixed Reordering fails with more than 31 book pages in a book
* #992376 by larowlan: Fixed Paths containing a hyphen aren’t compatible with page theme_hook_suggestions
* #1007488 by Gábor Hojtsy, plach, droplet: Fixed Drupal cannot be installed in a non-predefined language
* #987384 follow-up by h_peter, jhodgdon: Further clean-ups to group topics.
* #989886 by bfroehle: Fixed _system_date_format_types_build improper use of in_array()
* #989366 follow-up by jhodgdon: EVEN better docs for format_date() and friends.
* #1013496 by Dave Reid: Remove Dave Reid as update.module maintainer.
* #1000610 by markabur, Jeff Burnz: Fixed borked Bartik comment layout.
* #1012914 by dww: Fix regex in Updater classes.
* #884960 follow-up by bfroehle: Remove phantom empty column on date settings.
* #932846 by bfroehle, dww: Fixed authorize.php connection settings form broken (doesn’t degrade, pointless fieldset)
* #988026 by Jeff Burnz: Fixed Move background color from body to #page-wrapper in Bartik
* #916086 by mcarbone, jhodgdon: Fixed search_excerpt() doesn’t highlight words that are matched via search_simplify()
* #1013808 by threewestwinds, redndahead: Fixed update.php displays misleading messages for modules that return no messages.
* – Patch #1014096 by chx: don’t load schema on every page view.
* – Patch #1000674 by Jeff Burnz, jensimmons: Bartik comment submit form is a bit janky.
* #1014170 by rooby: Fixed East Timor is now Timor-Leste.
* #994870 follow-up by eaton: Add missing element argument to machine name exists callback.
* #1014714 by janusman: Fixed Installer-created Home item on main-menu not translatable
Drupal is a free software package that allows anyone to easily publish, manage and organize a wide variety of content on a website. Hundreds of thousands of people and organizations are using Drupal to power an endless variety of sites.
Drupal is open source software maintained and developed by a community of hundreds of thousands of users and developers. It’s distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (or “GPL”), which means anyone is free to download it, share it with others, and contribute back to the project. This open development model means that people are constantly working to make sure Drupal is a cutting-edge platform that supports the latest technologies that the Web has to offer.
Languages: PHP: 5.2 or higher recommended; PHP 4.3.5 required
Database: MySQL – 4.1 or higher or PostgreSQL – 7.4 or higher
License: GNU General Public License